Susan Pfund has always had a passion caring for patients and teaching. Though she initially studied to be a high school English teacher, she found her comfort zone in the critical care unit in one-on-one situations with patients and their family members. Incorporating her love for travel and visiting friends, she would continuously accept travel assignments that criss-crossed the country from Connecticut to California and New York to Texas. Each assignment allowed Susan to successfully apply her formula of providing the best care, educating patients about their specific regimens and how to continue best health practices for themselves.
In 2009, Susan started her own business so as to allow the flexibility of working from home and caring for her aging WWII veteran father who suffers from Alzheimer’s.
Susan Pfund in the media:
Read more about Susan Pfund on CBS Detroit (external link).
Listen to an interview with Susan on Veteran Radio in Ann Arbor. (last 10 mins – external link)
Susan was part of the 332nd Air Force Theater Hospital Balad, Iraq. In this solemn and respectful tribute, trauma team member Matt Blonde captures what life was like during the final days of the hospital while Susan was in service there.
- Founded Troop Health Initiatives, LLC 2009 – Seeking a solution to positively improve health care outcomes for our veterans serving our country Susan discovered the JEMSTM Telehealth Disaster Relief Unit for first responder vehicles. She is able to continue serving by providing best in class mobile teleheath systems to her fellow veterans. Uses for this real time, encrypted, HIPAA compliant video to smartphone device are being investigated and include; neurology, emergency medicine, surgery, telebehavior, prison, etc. wherever portable, secure and immediate access to care and/or specialists are essential.
- VISN-11 VA awarded Ms. Pfund a contract for the JEMS Telehealth Disaster Relief Unit 2013
- Service disabled veteran, Captain, USAF, medically retired from USAF 2009
- Transferred to position as Nurse manager of Cardiology department Lackland AFB 2008
- Deployed as trauma nurse to Balad, Iraq 2007
- Awarded “Best SICU Preceptor” USAF’s Flagship trauma center, Lackland AFB 2006
- Team member/leader for audit project reconciling patient pharmacy bills to chart Parkview Hospital Fort Wayne, IN 2004-2006
- Career as intensive care nurse in hospitals that include Yale, Kaiser Permanente, and Johns Hopkins 1998-2003
- Staff nurse and on oversight committee for patient protocols and procedures St Luke’s Hospital 1991 – 1997
- Editor for State of Michigan’s Nursing Student’s Association’s newsletter 1986-87
Concordia College, BA, 1983
Saginaw Valley State University, BSN, 1987
Sigma Theta Tau International
The Honor Society of Nursing
Bay City, Michigan